emsyvanwyck21

Sandpiper Island
Donna Kauffman
Dangerously Hot
Lynn Raye Harris

Garrison's Creed (Titan, #2)

Garrison's Creed (Titan, #2) - Cristin Harber [I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.] Sexy alpha heroes lead Titan in this sizzling series by Cristin Harber. The second book in the Titan series, Garrison's Creed, picks up with a few of the characters we met in Winters Heat (and if you're wondering, each title features the last name of the main protagonists - Colby Winters, Cash Garrison, etc.). Cash, a sniper par excellence, has his sights trained on a gun runner in the opening chapter, when he recognizes someone with his target. That someone was pretty special to him it is quickly revealed and their relationship - Nicola's and Cash's - is the foundation of this book. There are the predicted twists and turns and steam began to rise from my Kindle as I read some of these scenes. (Believe me, these books are HOT, but don't, I feel, cross into erotica.) I quickly became wrapped up in the story and found it a much smoother read than the first book and really enjoy Harber's sense of character, in particular, Sugar, who we first saw in Winters Heat, plays a more dramatic role here. And at this point, I'm beyond grateful that I don't have to wait for the next installment as my Kindle doesn't have to power down, but just opens up the third book in her series.(excerpt)
---
Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling, do what your intuition tells you, take a chance . . . I never thought I'd say that about a book series, but having a few friends recommend a new author to me almost at the same time I received the first two books in her series told me yes, this is one I have to read.

The author is Cristin Harber and the series is called Titan. I'm still unclear as to why she and her publisher (Mill Creek Press) released five books (three books, two novellas) at the same time (all in late September / early October), but for readers who get easily hooked into a series it's like Christmas and birthdays all together. You don't have to wait months (or a year) for the next installment. That said, I decided to scrap my other planned reads over the weekend and dig into Ms. Harber's series once I completed Jaycee Clark's Deadly boxed set. And I did.

The first book, Winters Heat, quickly set up the Titan Group - retired military alpha heroes who have banded together to form a black ops/bodyguards service for the government or "good" corporations/individuals. The story combines a lot of sex to heat up the sheets (if Harber's protagonists reach the bed) and a lot of action, along with showing the human side of these alpha heroes we all love. Each time I thought the action and story had reached its climax another twist ensued and it was nail biting time again. I have to admit it seemed a slightly rough read to me. I understood Harber's premise, liked her characters, but some of her prose seemed forced and just seemed like an editor could have, should have, taken a little more time with it. That said, I would definitely recommend it as she has a very good story to tell.

The second book in the series, Garrison's Creed, picks up with a few of the characters we met in Winters Heat (and if you're wondering, each title features the last name of the main protagonists - Colby Winters, Cash Garrison, etc.). Cash, a sniper par excellence, has his sights trained on a gun runner in the opening chapter, when he recognizes someone with his target. That someone was pretty special to him it is quickly revealed and their relationship - Nicola's and Cash's - is the foundation of this book. There are the predicted twists and turns and steam began to rise from my Kindle as I read some of these scenes. (Believe me, these books are HOT, but don't, I feel, cross into erotica.) I quickly became wrapped up in the story and found it a much smoother read than the first book and really enjoy Harber's sense of character, in particular, Sugar, who we first saw in Winters Heat, plays a more dramatic role here. And at this point, I'm beyond grateful that I don't have to wait for the next installment as my Kindle doesn't have to power down, but just opens up the third book in her series.

[I should be clear here that the publisher provided the first two books for me to read for the review, the third book and the novella are my own.]

The third book, Westin's Chase, tells the story of the head of Titan, Jared Westin, and Lilly Chase, also known as Sugar, the proprietor of GUNS. A daring rescue in Afghanistan opens this book and the pace never lags. Corruption, traitors, trust, love - all are on the table here. And of all the books in the series, I think this was my favorite. Lilly ("Sugar") well I just grew to love her. She gives kick-ass new meaning and, well, Jared. Hey, he's the guy. I have to admit that I wasn't sure going in that I was going to like them (last scene Jared was coming from a tryst with two gals, and Lilly was, hmmm, taken believably for a madam in the first book, and not very sympathetic in the second). But here, Harber brings them to the forefront and they just are perfect together. Her writing is now seamless and this book was impossible to put down. At the end, I have to admit a few tears for families that were seemingly torn apart by betrayal, but I promise, no spoilers. You have to read this!

The two novellas - Gambled and Chased - are fast reads, but if you're serious about following this series (and I think you will be), you should definitely pick them up. Find out what happens after betrayal in Gambled and Lilly's (Sugar's) actress sister Jenny is the focus of Chased.

I look forward to seeing what is up next for Titan and, as a reader, can only applaud Cristin Harber and Mill Creek Press for taking the step to release all these books simultaneously. If her aim was to lead to addiction to Titan and its alpha heroes, she definitely succeeded. Kudos to all!

Fab Fantasy Fiction