emsyvanwyck21

Donna Kauffman
Dangerously Hot
Lynn Raye Harris

Striking Distance

Striking Distance - Pamela Clare Five stars for Pamela Clare's Striking Distance, an edge-of-your seat emotional, sexy, and suspenseful page turner. Pamela Clare's I-Team is the inspiration behind a group of fans on Facebook called, appropriately, "Pamela Clare's I-Team." I became a member of this group a few weeks ago, and have truly enjoyed the camaraderie while counting down to the release of her sixth I-Team book Striking Distance on 5 November 2013. Luckily Clare had a remedy for everyone who was expressing withdrawal from one of their favorite series, which was the release of a prequel novella (First Strike) a few weeks ago.

Like so many others I waited till yesterday (5 November) to read Striking Distance and quickly became caught up in the story of Navy SEAL Javier "Javi" "Cobra" Corbray and Swedish-American television journalist, now I-Team reporter Laura Nilsson.

I do recommend that you read the two novellas that precede book six (Skin Deep and First Strike), as there are characters and motivations in both of these books that will help inform your read of Striking Distance.

In many ways, this was my favorite I-Team novel as I admired both protagonists and also how Clare handled the physical and emotional abuse of Laura at the hands of her captors for two years - as well as the reclamation of her life. It was inspiring on many levels and also helped shed light on abuses that we might otherwise ignore.

In addition to a tremendous amount of suspense and intrigue, a betrayal of friendship by a member of the I-Team (though I have a feeling redemption will be on its way for that character in the future), and what felt almost like a family reunion as characters from previous I-Team novels had fairly large supporting roles in this story, Clare offered a true sense of kindness and generosity of spirit between Javi and Laura as they became reacquainted with one another and learned to trust their feelings once again.

Having met a writer under a fatwa (yes, that writer), I hung out a lot with his bodyguard, who was a slightly older and smoother version of Javi (if you can picture that). It's hard to comprehend the effect of living with a known threat constantly - and the hyper-awareness and stress that brings - but Clare captures it perfectly in this novel.

I loved the plot twists and turns, the introduction of some new characters that I hope we'll see more of, and also the way that Clare concluded this book. I'm not going to give the plot away, but I will say that true love is represented here on many different and beautiful levels - and recommend that you have a box of Kleenex at your side as you read this edge-of-your-seat page turner.

I highly, highly recommend Striking Distance as well as Clare's other I-Team novels and give this book five stars.

Fab Fantasy Fiction